I'm posting this so PrestaShop users can be made aware of what is happening with the Cookie Law. Please be aware and make sure you are compliant.

http://www.pabloburg...ley-de-cookies/

Spain begins disciplinary proceedings against site for violating Cookie Law

Here's my summary of some facts:

- The cookies being investigated are from Google Analytics, Google Maps, YouTube, Adsense and WordPress.

- The website was setting the cookies in the browser and then showing a popup warning the user that the site used cookies and that if they didn't want them they could delete them.

- The AEPD is a governmental organization which watches over personal data and privacy infringements. If a company infringes your rights as a citizen, you submit a complaint to the AEPD, and they can investigate and fine if necessary.

- The AEPD states that the fine is imposed because the website should not set any cookies until the user had accepted the warning.

- The Spanish law being used here is RD 12/2012, which was created using the 2009/136/CE EU Directive as its framework.

I have seen several cookie modules/solutions posted in this forum that sets the cookie in the browser and then seeks to delete them. If you are using such solutions please be aware that you may be subject to a fine.

Our module Cookie Notify allows your store to be in full compliance. We have 1.3.x, 1.4.x and 1.5.x versions available.

Marty Shue

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I have recently started a new web app to help websites comply with EU Cookie Law and I want to share it with the world. Hope it will help you save some time and money when making your website compliant with the EU Cookie Law.

Solution is very simple  to use and it comes with some powerful features and is 100% customizable. You can also choose between several cookie pop-up templates so it matches your website perfectly.

The best part is that you don't need to do any programming, web app takes care of everything. All you need is to copy-paste one line of code on your website. And yes, it is completely free for unlimited number of domains.

You can see and use it here:

cookie-script.com

This is how one of pop-ups looks like:

example.png

Let me know if you need any other functionality. Any feedback would be appreciated. 

Edited by cookiethomas (see edit history)

each country in europe has got own law, it isn't true that each European Union country has got the same law related to cookie directive. Moreover, there is no way to block cookies in browser from plugins / features like google analytics, google adsense, facebook etc. You can do it only via browser configuration.

• Like 1

I thought that the EU figured out this was a dumb law and did away with it...what did you all do with the pitch forks?...it would be pretty easy to put ps into no cookie mode if they disagree with collecting cookie info, though that would end their shopping experience.  I'd go with Carolina designs but if you need help creating a 'no cookie' environment that eliminates the creation of cookies, no matter the originator, I can easily create that patch...no cookies for you...scenario...I'll do it for 1,000,000 euros, I know that's a lot but I only need one of those contracts...

• Like 2

Hi guys,

I have recently started a new web app to help websites comply with EU Cookie Law and I want to share it with the world. Hope it will help you save some time and money when making your website compliant with the EU Cookie Law.

Solution is very simple  to use and it comes with some powerful features and is 100% customizable. You can also choose between several cookie pop-up templates so it matches your website perfectly.

The best part is that you don't need to do any programming, web app takes care of everything. All you need is to copy-paste one line of code on your website. And yes, it is completely free for unlimited number of domains.

cookie-script.com

Hi,

Using the script but it's not showing a pop-up

see www.racepc.nl

what do I do wrong   ;)

Arie

Edit.   suddenly  its working now    ;)

Edited by racemaniac (see edit history)

Just because I am curious, using a 3rd party api such as facebook, twitter, google products, or yotpo, who is responsible for the cookie those services place? Is it the main site or is it the services that place the cookie?

I'm not an expert in legal issues  but for me the responsible is the main site, you have to know what you are putting in your site.

each country in europe has got own law, it isn't true that each European Union country has got the same law related to cookie directive. Moreover, there is no way to block cookies in browser from plugins / features like google analytics, google adsense, facebook etc. You can do it only via browser configuration.

I find the only way is having a module or PS itself (better) who controls the main ps cookie sent in the headers of the site. So in all of the javascripts that are injected (which works with 3rd party cookies) in the site through modules or directly in some tpl (footer.tpl) like ganalytics, facebook, twitter, etc etc put a nice if until PS/module has decided to use the main cookie.

Sort of

if (document.cookie.length>0){
//javascript which deals with 3rd party cookies
}

Just because I am curious, using a 3rd party api such as facebook, twitter, google products, or yotpo, who is responsible for the cookie those services place? Is it the main site or is it the services that place the cookie?

Website owner is responsible for informing about usage of 3rd party cookies. So if you are using Google Analytics on your website, you have to mention that in detailed Cookie Policy description. You can, however, categorize your cookies and only mention categories. Note that this could be different in different EU countries.

Right now there is no actual need to block cookies if user doesn't agree with your cookie policy. It was a requirement about a year ago, but not anymore. It is true that each EU country has its own law to cookie directive, however they are more or less similar. You can always check what google is doing in your country and take that as example. Right now they are just informing about usage of cookies with a message. 

I have talked to lawyers who are actually participating in making those laws and here is what they say: 

1. Law is stupid indeed, but it has to be done according to EU directive

2. Some websites will be punished with fines, but it is mostly to show others that law works and encourage website owners to follow the law. 

3. No matter what the law says, if you are informing users about cookie usage in any way your website will not get a fine. 

This is of course unofficial statement, just their own opinion.

As I said, this is more or less the same in EU countries, so just inform your visitors about cookie usage and you are free to go for now. 

Edited by cookiethomas (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

cookie-script.com

This is how one of pop-ups looks like:

example.png

Let me know if you need any other functionality. Any feedback would be appreciated. 

One question, What file should we edit to paste the code?.

Thanks.